Despite a seemingly large number of layoffs this year, many employers plan to hire new employees for the last quarter of the year, with the expectation of strong consumer spending as the holidays approach.
Four of the major hiring trends are:
- Increase in full-time and seasonal employees. According to CareerBuilder, 34 percent of U.S. employers plan to hire full-time staff and over 50 percent of retailers plan to hire seasonal workers in the fourth quarter. (10 points over last year)
- Pay increase for permanent and seasonal positions. Hiring and pay will increase, and as a result will be higher than last year. This is due to the intense competition for qualified applicants, and minimum wage hikes.
- Unchanged/Reduction of employees. Ten percent of employees expect to reduce their staff, while 52 percent do not anticipate any change in the number of their employees.
- Temporary-workers in demand. During the fourth quarter this year, the demand for temporary workers in the United States is expected to increase by 2.9 percent.
Two companies that are expected to hire a large number of employees during the 2015 holiday season include:
- Amazon. Expects to increase the number of employees from 80,000 to 100,000.
- Kohls. Expects to increase the number of employees from 77,000 to 79,000.
Managing the details of temporary hires, especially around the holidays, can be challenging. Don’t hesitate to contact Millenium Staffing to simplify the temporary holiday hiring process.